Sunday, July 31, 2011

Creating Notebooks!


A couple of weeks ago, Hobby Lobby had a LOT of scrapbook items on sale, including paper and stickers!!! I LOVE stickers... can't have enough!  Anyway here is a set up of my craft project that took me about 1.5 hours to do 4 notebooks from start to finish.  The composition books are on sale at Staples for $0.50.  This year I am teaching two classes (morning and afternoon), but I am teaching both Math and Science to 6th graders.

I am a huge fan of notebooks and have been doing it for the past 2 years diligently in Science.  This year I am going to give Math a shot, but I had an amazing teacher in high school who made me keep a Math notebook for Algebra 2, and you know what??? I still have it!!! In fact, I referenced it a few weeks ago when I was brushing up on parabalas for my 4-8 Generalist test.  So glad I had that notebook.

Anyway.... the point of this blog is this craft.  A month or so ago, a friend of mine, Katy,  posted some images of these notebooks on her Facebook and I knew I had to make them.  The key ingredient to making them is not in the picture above... see below:


No mod podge glue... just this tack spray, but it smells and can go everywhere!!  I did this project in my house, since it was like 1000 degrees outside,  but I had a fan going the whole time.  I sprayed my notebook COVERS... not the paper, inside a box I was going to throw away-- that way the glue stayed in one place... the box.

Then I placed my papers the way I wanted them and then cut around the edges using an exacto blade. 

I also did the back with the same papers, but maybe a different layout.   Then the real fun began!  STICKERS!!! I purchased all sorts of school stickers  at Hobby Lobby and they worked out wonderfully.  I also added some ribbon to all four.  The ribbon is not a bookmark or anything, just glued to the front cover for added interest.


During the first few days of school, I will let the students decorate their notebooks using colored copy paper, magazine cut-outs, stencils, and glue sticks.  I think if they take their time creating them, they will feel more connected to their work, and therefore, less likely to lose it.  One thing I have not done yet is use a hand held hold punch, punch a hole in the top right corner of the back cover, and attach a large rubber band to it.  This way when my notebook starts to expand (and believe me ... it will) , the rubber band will hold it all together.

You can check out more about how I organize my notebooks and grade them at my blog: Jack of all Trades!

Happy Crafting!!!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome girl!!! I told you! Now make me one;) teehee:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. My third/fourth graders and I make these for our writing notebooks but I have a few questions. Do you have the kids use the tacky glue too? Or do they just use regular glue? Love the rubber band idea. How do you have it attached? Thanks for your creative blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I am definitely putting this on my pintrest. These are soo cute. P.S. I love your blog design. It looks like I could actually touch it. (don't tell anyone I tried. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I just saw this...I actually made mine today for biology! Great minds think alike! I'll post a DIY of it in a few days (but I used Mod Podge).

    Can you use the tacky spray to coat the outside of the paper as well to seal the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey yall!

    About the tacky spray: I would not let the kids use it. It smells and gets everywhere. I am going to just use elmers glue. Maybe some regular white glue along the edges/corner and glue stick in the center. Not sure yet.

    Rhoda: You can not use tacky spray like Modge Podge unfortunately... you will end up with a sticky mess if you do that :) But you could Modge Podge a layer after using the tacky spray if you wanted.

    @Prudence- Thanks for your compliment:) Sorry I have not posted a pic of the rubber band closure. I will try to do that this week. Ive been busy with VBS decorating this week- Pandamania!!!

    @Mercedes- Your comment made me LOL!! Thanks for your sweet words!

    I will post about closing your notebook next:) Have a great one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me super excited about your blog! #1: I LOVE, love, love Hobby Lobby. #2: I have done projects like these before. I am now a happy follower!

    Victoria
    love4thgrade.blogspot.com and teachingvision.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I am going to make my notebooks to show to my students. For the past years I have decorated mine and then used them to show my students just how proud I am of everything that will be going into my journals and I find that it motivates them to take a lot of pride into decorating their journal and the work that will go into it. I'm your newest follower and I will be coming back for more fabulous ideas. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete